Credit Card Reviews

Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express

Credit Score
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders that a credit score that currently falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit score across all holders of this card, every month, for the past year.
Credit Limit
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose credit limit on this card currently falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit of all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current balance on this card falls within the given amount ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average current balance for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current credit limit utilization for this card falls within the given utilization ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current credit score falls within the given score ranges.
  • info This chart displays the average credit limit utilization for all holders of this card whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Age of Cardholder
  • info This chart details the percent of cardholders whose current age falls within the given age ranges.
Sample Size: 463
Data Created: October 01, 2013

59 Cardholder Reviews

Results 1-10 of 59Results per page: 5 | 10 | 25Page 1 of 6   Previous | Next

Applied for this card as I fly Delta for almost every flight. Checked Experian, score is 715. Got approved with a $2000 credit limit. I also have Chase Sapphire Preferred with a $7000 limit and an AMEX Blue Cash with a $3000 limit (approved for all 3 cards in last 2 months0. 18 months ago my credit score was under 600 and I only qualified for secure cards. I am proof that you can rebuild your credit if you just stay patient!

Aug 13, 2012 Reply

How long did it take you to go from 600 to 715? I fly delta every two weeks and my credit score is 642, i need to get to 715 so i can get the card so I can earn miles faster. Any tips or suggestions will be very helpful, thank you.

loumeatskavitch's reply was:

Feb 09, 2014

loumeatskavitch(1, 0)

Review by loumeatskavitch

I am trying to understand how this was possible.  My problem is my student loans.  It makes my debt ration look way off.  I can't get anyone to understand that I am still a student and the loans aren't due to be paid yet.  May I ask what your outstanding credit balance total  was when you had a  600 credit score?

dazzlingwidow's reply was:

Oct 11, 2013

dazzlingwidow(1, 0)

Review by dazzlingwidow

It's great to hear you've been able to raise your score significantly. I'm in a similar situation where my score was under 600 2-3 months ago and it's climbed to 650ish with recent approvals from Chase (Freedom) and the AMEX Gold Delta. Question I have is what steps you took to improve it from that 600 point up to the 715 where it's at now? I've paid off cards consistently each month so it sounds like time is the real answer but any other insight would be great. Thanks!

jschmidt61184's reply was:

Mar 04, 2013

jschmidt61184(1, 0)

Review by jschmidt61184

@dazzlingwidow  My student loans make my debt ratio look off, too.  However, my account is in good standing (I always pay on time), so I haven't found it to affect lenders willingness to provide credit, since I have no derogatory marks on my account.  I applied for this card in December 2013, with a credit score of 712 and an outstanding student loan debt of approximately $62,000.  I had a little more several months ago when I was applying for another card with a credit score of 675 and it didn't seem to make a difference.

leininge's reply was:

Feb 03, 2014

leininge(3, 2)

Review by leininge

anyone know the credit score you must have

Donmega884's review was:

Sep 11, 2010 Reply

Donmega884(2, 15)

Review by Donmega884

Look at "cardholder average over time" in the chart above, and you'll see what the average is. One can tell based on trends whether they're approving more apps or fewer. Right now it's 728 and it's been very steady for the duration of the chart.

For comparison, the AmEx SPG is 740 and the Blue Cash (either one) is in the high 730s. I have a 651 CK score and have both (I have 70-90 points better FICO scores). Subprime Cap One cards I think are in the 630s or 620s.

If you look at "across all cardholders", you'll get to see the distribution; as is, 40% of cardholders are over 750, with an additional 34% above 700. It gives you an idea where you need to be: around 720 at least.

JohnPublic's reply was:

Jan 11, 2013

JohnPublic(42, 76)

Top Contributor

Review by JohnPublic

Top Contributor

I got approved with an Experian 701 score. I should say that I currently hold an standard American Express card (Gold) so I don't can't say if being an Amex customer influenced their decision. My current debt to credit line ratio is a little high at the moment which brought my score down from 739 to 701. But I got approved. Go figure. I hope this helps, Don.

jav422's reply was:

Dec 09, 2012

jav422(3, 9)

Review by jav422

Truly rewarding Helpful to 9 out of 9 people

I had a big multi-city, cross-country trip coming up and I had to pay for the air tickets of 4 people. I applied for this card just prior to booking my tickets and I immediately got approved. I had an Experian score of 727. I was given $1000 credit right away and $8500 after the card arrived which it did in just 2 days.

I got the 30,000 bonus miles in just a day after spending $500 on the first day. I was immediately able to use these miles. Besides, the card gave me and my family priority boarding and free checked bag on all our flights. Quite fortunately, Delta had the cheapest flights for my planned route and schedule anyways. And because all these expensive air ticket purchases were Delta tickets, I got double miles. I also got a bonus 5000 miles for spending $500 on a Delta purchase.

All in all, I already made good on the card fee for the next couple of years and some more. Of course, it's free for the first year.

That is why I say this card is truly rewarding. I would suggest purchasing this card if you travel at least once every month or fly often with multiple people on your reservation.

AmEx is accepted almost everywhere online and in all major stores anyways. Their customer service is amazing and super friendly. Their account management website and mobile app are very slick too: quite modern and user-friendly.

Also, AmEx promotions for early access to events is quite exclusive and very handy too. I was able to get decent US Open tickets for cheap in an AmEx special pre-sale 3 days before the tickets opened to general public. They have similar deals for a lot of events.

I have not experienced this kind of satisfaction with any other credit card before. I strongly recommend it.

Jun 13, 2013 Reply

Any savings in the first year would quickly be offset by the Annual Fee of $95.00.

jfogleboch's review was:

Aug 24, 2010 Reply

jfogleboch(1, 9)

Review by jfogleboch

Approved! Helpful to 6 out of 6 people

I've worked hard to increase my credit over the last several years, with the end goal of eventually being approved for an AmEx. Finally, it has happened. I applied 02/2014 with an Ex Score of 709, $40,000 income, low cc usage on my two other cards. Approved instantly, had to call for credit limit though. A bit low at $1000, but intend to call for CLI after 30 day waiting period is up. NOTE, I was told it by AmEx that CLI can be done after 30 days, not 61 as suggested on other sites.

Started with my Experian at 440 on 01/01/2010, 4 years later I'm an AmEx Cardholder. It CAN be done!

BostonBurke's review was:

Feb 15, 2014 Reply

BostonBurke(1, 6)

Review by BostonBurke

Approved, no thanks to Credit Karma! Helpful to 6 out of 6 people

Approved with (EQ) 695 FICO score.  Ignore Credit Karma scores, they're so off it's comical and their scoring model doesn't factor in any closed accounts.  I've had a Green AMEX charge card for 6 months, which I believe is the key to building AMEX's trust if you don't have a rockstar credit profile.  They gave me a $2,000 starting limit and hope for a 3x CLI at 61 days.  35,000 bonus miles were credited to my Skymiles account within days of hitting the spend criteria.  Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is the annual fee is a bit high unless you fly Delta exclusively.

cwalrath80's review was:

May 14, 2013 Reply

cwalrath80(7, 36)

Review by cwalrath80

If you regularly use Delta airlines this is a fantastic card!

1st year they will waive the fee, then you get a #100.00 ticket voucher each year youi pay the $90.00 annual fee.

I received 25K free miles (my wife later got 35K free) so watch for a good opportunity when you apply .

American Express IMHO is the best as far as it comes to customer service, I have had more support from them with BAD merchants in getting problems resolved & disputes reversed without a hitch.

Already have a free ticket to England this year(on my wife's card) and I will have another overseas trip paid for next year on mine. I cant recommend any other card more highly!

dcw777's review was:

Apr 12, 2011 Reply

dcw777(2, 5)

Review by dcw777

got the card with a 680 trans score.  $8700 limit.  Got a $50 free statement credit within the first month!  Also got my 30,000 miles credited to my account within the first month.  Great card.

bds614's review was:

Aug 31, 2012 Reply

bds614(1, 4)

Review by bds614

I am a Brit that arrived in the USA just over a year ago.  We (foreigners) arrive without any credit history, the UK score does not count.  I started with a Wells Fargo secured card and that started to build my credit file.  When I got to around a score of 700 (ish) I applied for the Delta American Express card and was surprised that I got it and a limit (stated on the paperwork) of $5000.  So far so good.  I quite often travel with delta and gain the free 1st bag check, so I will get my fee back when I have to pay in a years time.  So all in all, not a bad deal for me.

Thanks

alanlang's review was:

Nov 26, 2010 Reply

alanlang(1, 7)

Review by alanlang

I HAVE A CREDIT SCORE OF 620. iS THAT TOO LOW FOR THIS CARD ? PLUS DO i GET A BLACK MARK OR HARD INQUIRY IF TURNED DOWN?

travelingtim's review was:

mecome's reply was:

May 28, 2011

mecome(2, 6)

Review by mecome

I would guess that is probably to low unless you have substantial income and savings.  Yes, there will be a hard inquiry if you apply.

Kim46770's reply was:

• Purchase Intro APR Not
  • Purchase Regular APR 15.24%– 19.24%* Variable
  • Annual Fee $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
Learn More Visit Application Page

Cardholder Rating Distribution (59)

Top Similar Cards

American Express is the world's largest card issuer by purchase volume, catering to high-spending cardmembers around the world. American Express offers personal, small business, corporate, prepaid, and charge cards. American Express stands out in the credit card industry for its cardmember services, such as concierge service and loyalty programs, and its charge cards with no pre-set spending limit, such as the Centurion, or "Black card”, known for its exclusivity and elite features.

Headquartered in New York City, American Express is a global financial services company that provides financial products, processes transactions, and facilitates payment services to consumers and merchants. With its iconic Roman gladiator logo, American Express operates in over 130 countries around the world.

Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express