4.2

Jun 06 2020
Best of my cards

Best rewards, best customer service, best all-around. My experience (I've had this card for roughly 8 years now) has been continuously positive. I always have more than enough rewards points to pay for the annual fee. We use it for all gas and groceries. I also use it for their special cash back deals and promotions ($20 off of $100, $10 cash back, etc.) for certain brands and stores, though ONLY if it's something I was purchasing anyway. I used rewards points at their rewards store for a $13 Roomba one year (after I'd already paid the $95 fee). That's right, a $500 Roomba for my wife cost me $13.XX! As with any credit card, you don't treat it as "credit", you treat it as cash and budget. We carry no balances on credit cards and this card has a limit of almost $30,000. Budget your groceries and gas, and pay for them with this card. Then pay it off each month and enjoy whatever you want with your rewards. It's that easy. If you're using any card to pay for things that you "want" and didn't budget for, you're doing it wrong and you should not use cards. Just a little practical advice.

Dec 21 2020
800+ FICO score-approved for $1,000

Found this odd considering I had excellent chances. Also, because I have 2 other AMEX cards (with limits at $5,000 or above) I was very surprised to be approved for only $1,000......To make it more unsettling was once I was approved I could not see anywhere in the online paperwork I was entitled to the $300 introductory rewards offer. This was a big reason for applying in the first place in addition to the 6% cash back on groceries. After being on hold for ever with a rep as she talked to a supervisor she said I was not automatically approved for the introductory offer and this aspect was still under review. Wait, what?!? They advertise the special offer and then reserve the right to reject that part but will still collect on the $95 annual fee. So basically, without the intro. offer I would have never applied for this card. We'll see if they give it to me or not. All in all, I have been satisfied with my 2 AMEX cards (love the website) and my experiences so I will hope for the best. Lastly, it's kind of strange how they do the credit. On their credit monitoring service with my first two cards they use Trans Union but on the application they ran credit on Experian.

All reviews

Apr 30 2021
Not accept everywhere

I got Proved for 5K not enough for my needs and they wont raise my limit will have to look for a different card.

Apr 18 2021
better in person rather than online

had closed an american express card 10 years ago 10k limt. but consider applying again for another Amex card , but all in all had 16k credit card debt and 720 vantage score- got approved for 8k , been paying my bill on time. Willing for a perfect 850 next year. Thats my financial goal but with more savings next year.

Mar 29 2021
$1000 card limit?? Waste of hard inquiry and time

I have great credit history and score, with very low debt utilization and several cards with $10k-15k limits but AMEX only gave me $1000? Complete waste of time and effort, not to mention the extra ding on my credit score thanks to the hard inquiry. Called to close the card immediately after approval (when you find out the limit they grant you) and I was told to talk to their limit increase department. After doing so, I was told I wasn't eligible for a limit increase because my card isn't 90 days old. Terrible way to start a relationship with a customer. Further, I think consumers should be allowed to 'decline' crappy offers and have the hard inquiry removed. If I'd known AMEX would only give me $1000, I could have saved us all some time.

Mar 22 2021
Great Card-Low Credit Line

This card has a great sign up bonus, reward & cash back redemption. However the CL is extremely low. I have a six figure income & a credit score above 750 for all three bureaus and they awarded only $1000

Mar 06 2021
Very useful

Great everyday card mostly because I'm always going to the grocery store and using my other credit card for other purchases. Received the 300 dollar credit very quickly.

Feb 25 2021
They lie before you sign up...

I was invited by AmEx to apply for this card. They offered first year waiver on the annual fee and $300 cash back if I spent $1500 in first 90 days, 0% interest for 13 months, and low fees on the "Plan It" feature for large purchases. 3 weeks after getting the $300 cash back on the card when I used it to help pay for a new roof, I was charged the annual fee. They claimed my offer never said that it would be waived. I faxed them a copy and they said that the offer was wrong with no other explanation. I've had the card for about 7 months now, and I just got a letter advising me that they also told me the wrong "Plan It" fees for the card and that they are higher than they said. Good thing I haven't used them yet because of the 0% interest. Once the 13 months are up, I might keep it just to buy groceries, as the 6% cash back on groceries outweighs the $95 annual fee. Otherwise, there are better cards out there for everything else and I do the minimum amount of business with AmEx that I possibly can.

Feb 23 2021
Low credit limits, even with great credit & income

American Express always has great service and the card is accepted pretty much everywhere. Many reviews agree that the credit line is low. I have a six figure income and have really good credit and got approved for $5000. I read one review where the person had a score over 820 and was approved for $1000. So I’m not sure what parameters they are looking at but you will most likely get a low credit line when applying for this card. My other Amex has a 30,000 credit line. My total credit card debt is around 8k, and all account in good standing. Otherwise it’s a great card but I like higher credit lines.

Jan 26 2021
Awesome card

I applied for this card on Friday or Saturday and was approved with a credit score of 722 experian they always pull. Happy to have this card I recommend it for sure

Jan 04 2021
Amex

Easy application and fast approval. Low balance compared to my other cards.

Dec 21 2020