Lake Michigan CU Reviews
Sep 20, 2016
They Do not care about you

This Credit Union is worse than a bank. I am a former banker, and they have several things they do poorly. First of all they have a terrible Online banking website and app, that is difficult to understand, and easy to overdraw your account with. I still do not understand it fully, and I have a BA in accounting, an MBA in business administration and 15 years experience in banking. It seems they allow pending transactions to overdraw your account, and then when they receive the "receipt" for the transaction, they send it through again as "posted" and allow that to overdraw the account as well. I paid more than $100 dollars in NSF fees monthly while I banked there, and now that I have switched, I have paid none in six months at the bank I now use. The staff is nice, and want to help, but the administration and management really do not know what they are doing in terms of banking. I also had a credit card, and due to a loss of my job could not pay it.  Every other Bank and credit card company worked with me, reducing my interest rate to 0%, allowing me to not pay anything at all for several months until I found work etc....everyone but LMCU. They called family members, including my ex-wife whom I had a PPO order against, looking for money, and after just 6 months, filed to take me to court. Even banks that are known for their fees, and poor customer service treated me better than this Credit Union. I wanted a credit union barbecue I heard they were local, part of my community and cared about me as a person, as opposed to a bank that is just out for my money.  Perhaps that is true of some other credit unions, but not this one. Despite their not-for-profit tax status, profit is all they care about, and even more so than the typical nasty banks so many of us dislike. Stay far away from them if you ever fall on hard times, because they could care less about you.