Question

RphInProgess

Will using this credit account for 2 months then paying it off increase my score?
I have the money to get a laptop. It costs about $1,200 and I also have a BestBuy credit card. Should I just use my card to buy it and wait maybe 2 months to pay it off? Will that increase my credit score?

Most Helpful Response

Read the articles on this site so you can understand how credit works and how to increase your score.  Your proposed plan does not sound like what I read and won't help you.

Probably Not

That doesn't sound like something that would help increase your score. Making on-time payments AND keeping your statement balances low will help your credit more than leaving the $1,200 balance. Credit scores are basically rating how risky of a borrower you are. Carrying over month-to-month a balance of $1,200 will make you riskier than a smaller balance. It's best to keep your balances at 9% or lower of your credit limit. That's if it is financially necessary/wise to do so. Not just for the sake of it, since credit card APRs can be quite high. The best to do is usually pay in full every month.