Question

ammann2323

Will Credit Karma checking "pre-approved offers" affect my credit?
I got this notice when I signed up and was browsing features of the site:

Sorry, we couldn't find any pre-approved offers this time

You'll be able to check for pre-approved offers again at a later time (we suggest waiting about three months). Meanwhile, you may still qualify for other loans.
Important Note:

Our lending partners may send you a "Notice of Adverse Action" letter or email to explain why they weren't able to help with your pre-approval request. Getting this notice does not mean that your credit was impacted.

Does this mean they could do a hard pull and affect my credit? I didn't want to get a loan, I was just checking out the features.

Most Helpful Response

Be very careful and read the fine print any time they ask for your SSN. Quicken Loans stuck me with a hard inquiry a couple years ago, and all I thought I was doing was getting information. I never intended to apply for anything, but apparently I missed something.

"Generally" when you just checking for pre-approved offers its a soft pull, if you receive notice in the mail regarding your apps? That usually means you were checking for loan of some kind and not credit cards. Just a word of caution, anytime you inputs your personal Infos, specially with SSN? there can be a chance being a hard pull. You definitely do not want your Infos in hands of those personal loan lenders, unless of corse you have a need for them, they tend to pass the Infos around.

ammann2323

Thank you, based on the statement given, it says pre-approved offers only, it didn't say I submitted any applications, could it have still been a hard pull credit karma did on my behalf without my knowledge?

JohnnyRain127

I would venture a guess that it was a soft pull... Any inquiries soft or hard would come from the lenders and not from CK.