Question

Posted in Taxes

kasage00

Will a public record of a federal tax lien affect my future employment?
I filed my taxes every year, and never skipped a year. In 2014, I reported my deceased husband's death benefits (pension, deferred comp.) I thought I did everything correct and had taxes taken out, but I still got a nasty surprise at tax time and owed the IRS $26,000 due to this inheritance. The IRS approved me for an installment plan and I've made all my payments on time. In May 2016 they filed a tax lien on my property, despite the installment plan and on-time payments. Three months later (Aug. 2016) it finally appears on my credit report and dropped my score by 40 points. All my other accounts are in good standing and I had a credit score of 710 before the public record. I've been interviewing for higher-paying jobs within my company (NJ State Govt.) and I'm concerned if they do a background check. I have no criminal record but I'm not sure if this tax lien will get me disqualified.

very unlkely that it will affect you. Good luck with the job search