Question

athenaogden

will a personal loan post to my credit score before or after my first payment?

Depends on the lender

Generally they willl post the new account when they do their monthly reporting.  If that happens before your first payment or after won't make much difference. 

I had a new car loan that deferred the first payment for 90 days. I bought the car on Jan 6,  it was reported on my report on the 1st of Feb. even thought the first payment wasn't due until March 25.  

So for all practicle matters, I gained 3 months of "ontime payments" When I hadn't actually paid anything towards the balance yet. 

A personal loan should report in the same manner.  

hope that helps.