Question

juleswhall

Why would score decrease just from student loan deferrment?
My score went down 38 points last week and the only change was that a remark was added to my student loan saying "payment deferred" and my loan balance increased by $83 due to interest. No other changes occurred. Why would the remark cause such a large negative impact to my score?

maybe some ppl defer before they default

because it does?  when I applied for a student loan, my score dropped 20 pts even though most people say that hard inquiries are just suppossed to ding it a couple points.  sometimes scoring models just arent fair, and loans can be trickier than credit cards.

if it just deferred because you're still in scool, and not because of forbearance, you should try to contest it.