Question

rescuemom2

Why should my score be penalized because card co closed for non-use?
this may seem like something little but being a widow it is a big deal for me. I worked hard for my credit score and to take 9 pts. because discover closed a card I do not use their problem I do not spend what I do not have. That would be stupid. I have to cards Amex and Visa I only use Amex because they stand behind their customer the other cards do not they stand behind the merchant, Visa is for gas.

That's just the way it works. A card with a credit limit will be used in the calculations for credit utilization. If the card is closed, either by you or the company, the total credit limits is reduced by the amount of the credit limit for the card, thereby increasing your credit utilization.

Keep your credit utilization between 1% and less than 20% for the best score. But use every card you have regularly to keep them from getting canceled.