Question

forehand93

Why is my score so low if im paying my credit card bill even before its due??
Im paying all of my bills on time even before there due. Every time i pay my bill i buy something and then pay that off. But it seems when i come to look at my score it always says i have a balance this is already paid in full. I dont understand what im doing wrong??

Most Helpful Response

Your payment history is only part of your score. 
Do you have any derogatory remarks on your report from the past?

Is your credit history relatively short? If you've only had credit cards for a couple of years that impacts your score. Nothing you can do about that except maintain your accounts in good standing for many years. 

One thing you may not be aware of is the importance of the closing date. You say you pay your bill in full before it's due and then you buy something. Take a look at the important dates in your billing cycle. The closing date is usually 3-5 days after your due date. Your balance on this day is what is reported to the bureaus. So let's say your due date is the 10th. You have a $500 limit on your card. You pay in full on the 8th, but then charge a $300 item on the 12th. The closing date is the 13th. On the 13th, your utilization is reported at 60%, which is not good. That's how you can pay your bill in full before the due date every month and still have a lousy score. Also, try not paying in full--zero utilization isn't much better for your score than high utilization. Try to manipulate your balance so you're utilizing under 10% on your closing date and you may see an improvement.