Question

lauragard2

why does it keep telling me i have a thin file?
I've been checking my file for the past 2 months and it keeps telling me i have a thin file and won't tell me my score. Why is that? What can I do other then get a credit card to find out anything?

How about reading the articles on this site so you can better understand how credit works and what you must do to have a good credit score.  That is the sole purpose of Credit Karma because too many people do not understand credit.  I didn't and I was trained in accounting.

FYI--a thin file shows little to no credit activity.  One must have some credit activity in order to have a credit score because the score is based on the individual's use of credit.

Try for a secured card locally.

Try your local credit union. 

Open a savings (share) account and ask for a secured card using the account as collateral. 

This will give you a credit account that reports to the credit reporting agencies. This will help build your file. 

I have several loans ( personal) and also credit card history. Last time credit karma gave me a score even though it said I had a thin file.