Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

Highutilizer

Why does credit factors look at inquires over 12 months if they dont impact your credit score?
One of the factors used in credit scores is hard inquires in the last 12 months. In Credit Karma's credit factors section they rate inquires in the last two years. Inquires over 12 months do not affect your actual score, so why not use 12 months? I think this would be the logical way to do it given that is how the scores are determined. However, it is very valuable that you list the inquires over 12 months as they do stay on your report for 25 months and some lenders will look beyond your score and use them in lending decisions.

...because credit bureaus keep them for 24 months, not 12. Lenders also look back 24 months as well.

Who says they do not affect your score?  They have a minimal impact after a few months, but they do still affect your score.  And you also need to specify what score?  Some scoring models they have a higher impact on than others.  For this reason the data warehouses (the credit agencies only hold information, not give scores) include all information that any lender or auto insurance company might possibly use in their scoring systems.

Highutilizer

Creditors can use ANY information on your report any way they want.  I was not questioning that.  My point was credit scores.  From my research it appears that FICO scores (most of them anyway) will not use inquires over 12 months old.  That being said it is is very possible that Vantage Score 3.0 does use it.  I have a simulator from Transuion from my bank.  It uses Vantage Score 3.0 and does appear to look at inquires that are up to 24 months.  It seems that Vantage keeps using them longer, but on the other side they dont seem to matter as much.I had 3 inquires fall of my Experian report (12 month cut off) and my score when up 17 points!  But it is still much lower than my Vantage score.

Another difference is that Vantage score seems to look at Credit Card utilization and FICO at revolving credit utilization.  I base this on my line of credit that counts toward FICO but not toward Vantage.  Both list it as a debt.