Question

Kramer823

Why did my excellent credit score drop 45 pts when I only transferred a balance?
It's been 2 months since all I did was a balance transfer. The debt is showing properly all both involved cards, but my score did not bounce back up. In fact on one other site it went even lower last month. My utilization %age is always steadily going lower, right now at 22%. Is it because I now have 98% utilization on one card rather than it spread over a couple of cards?? That's ridiculous if it is. Nowhere have I ever read that the high utilization %age of a single card negatively affects your score as long as your overall utilization %age is low. I never would have done the transfer!!!!

It's up to you to read and understand the ramifications of your credit actions. You have high utilization. Transferring a balance lowers your score because you're only shuffling balances around; not paying anything down. Please read the articles here and other sites to educate yourself.

Kramer823

I think you mis-read what I wrote.  My overall utilization is 22%; only one individual card is at 98%.  I also stated my utilization %age is steadily going down which implies I am paying the balances down and not just shufflilng them.  So again, I ask where does it say that the high utilization %age of a single card negatively affects your score when your overall utilization %age is low?

"It's up to you to read and understand the ramificartions of your credit actions."..."Educate yourself" and "Please read the articles"....  I must say, your answer had the attitude of "well, look around; you should just know better" instead of offering any help, which is what the spirit of this Community posting board is, I thought.  There is no article here that addresses my specific question.  You obviously don't know the answer, so I don't understand why you wrote anything at all, unless you get special points for writing something.