Question

jazy76

Which action has a larger effect on my score, paying off an auto loan or a credit card?
I have 2 credit cards and 1 auto loan. I am selling a piece of property which will allow me to pay off 2 of the 3 balances, one of which is obviously a credit card. So my question is whether to pay off the second credit card or the auto loan to get the maximum benefit to my credit score. My desire to increase my credit score as much as possible is because I am looking to buy a house and want the best score possible so I can get the best rate possible.

Thanks

paying off your auto loan may help/hurt your score or it may stay the same. If it's some crazy APR/interest it may make sense to pay off your auto loan but without knowing the terms of the loan it's hard to say. 

paying off your credit cards will not hurt it your score. Credit to debt ratio is important component of your fico score, what your mortgage lender will use to determine your interest rate. If you are maxed out and paying a lot of interest, you will want to lower your balances.