Question

MaRobi7374

Where to Start????
I have been out of work and just starting to get on my feet. I have a job and recently got approved for a credit card with a $300 limit. I"m trying to fix my credit, my car note and credit card are up to date. I know need to start on the itmes that are in collections. Do I pay the whole amount or do I settle? Will paying what is in collections help my score?

Yup, helps a lot...

Your best strategy is to work the collection companies to settle the collections.  Negotiate a payment plan for the collections and do your best to use the payment as a bargaining chip to get the collection removed from your credit when you pay it off.  Be nice, but firm with the collector and let them know that you are working to settle all of your debts and can pay their debt or a different debt now, so you'll pay them if they will remove the collections activity off of your credit report.  If they agree, get it in writing and then stick to your word and pay them off.  If they won't, then you still need to clear the debt, just not first.