Question

BigAlChiTown

Where do I find "charge off" detail in my credit report?
I have been denied a college loan from the government for my son due solely to "charge-offs". There is an appeal process I have followed if I can show good status from a debt consolidation program which I have. The government response is I am missing 2 accounts that show charge-offs but my debt consolidation list was all inclusive. How do I find WHERE and WHAT accounts are showing "charge-offs" on my credit score?

Get the credit reports from all three credit bureaus and look at them. You will see which accounts have been charged off as they will state that. The three credit bureaus are Transunion, Equifax and Experian and they all have instructions on how to obtain credit reports (either the one free per year or you can purchase them). Remember this though, federal school loans do not go away, so you need to make absolutely sure that you can pay them, because if you don't they can harm your credit forever.