Question

lts2008

What steps to take?
In Nov 2015 I lost my second job decreasing our income. So we started a debt settlement program. Since then our credit has dropped to Me-520 Wife-580 due to missed payments on debt in program. We now have increased our incomes Wife-$40k Me-$40k with increase to $55k+ in next 2 years. We would like to purchase our first home in the near future (6 months to 1 year if possible). With $4k in cash from previous job and no emergency fund, What steps should we take to achieve our goal?
Wife’s C.C.- $3,075.00 in program 110% utilization
Car 1- $4,224.00
Lending Club- $4,993.00 in program settled
Avant- $5,094.00 in program
My C.C.- $7,598.00 in program 117% utilization
My student loans- $19,000.00
Car 2- $30,081.00
TOTAL DEBT $74,065.00

Be realistic. Put off the home purchase for a couple of years until you get your financial affairs in order. In the meantime you will have time to build your credit up to where it needs to be. Read everything that you can about credit and work to get your bills paid off.

jwsister

Right now, neither of you have a good credit score and those missed payments are negatives that are going to impact any chances of getting a mortgage.  Owning a home is not as easy as renting (personal experience here) because of taxes aand insurance and the inevitable repairs that will come up at the most inconvenient times.  You need to get the credit card down to 10% or less usage and strive to pay them off in full every month.  Build that emergency fund up, too.  This site has really good articles and interactive financial tools that I found very helpful.  Being patient will pay off.

lts2008

Should we continue with the debt settlement company or try to get out. Also should I use some of the cash on hand to pay off my wife's cc or leave it in the settlement company. This is her only debt in the program shes not signed on any other debt in the program.

I agree with the others.

Based on the info you gave you need to pay off at least  $66065.00 + the interest on the debt.  You will also need to Save up at least  6 months of living expenses for your emergency fund.  Then you will need to save up the 20% down your going to need for a down payment in order to avoid PMI.

According to my ruff estimate that should take about  2 1/2 years if you can dedicate 50% of your income to paying off debt and saving. Paying off the debt should get your score up to where you will need it to be qualify for a decent rate on your mortgage.

Good Luck