Question

ttiffanytx

What helps raise credit score the most?
Me and my boyfriend are looking into our future options of buying a car and home together. We are both young 20 & 21, and I know we will need decent credit but how can we get there? Does having a credit card really help your credit, and are these other ways to raise your score without a card?

My score is VERY low at 512 and he has no credit at all. Does paying off bills help? I have two medical bills from my hospital that I am trying to start a payment plan for. We want to raise our scores before we even try for a car or home so we can get the best deal. We are both new to credit and financial stuff.

You both need to take a lot of time reading all that you can about credit. That is your first step, get the knowledge that you need for a bright future with credit. The basic credit building tools are three credit cards and one installment loan that is reported to all three credit bureaus, BUT before you start opening accounts you need to do the reading so you know what you are doing and understand how everything works. Most likely you will need to start with a Secured credit card. If you have any negative information on your reports you will want to do some reading on ways to remove it, or ask here with further details about the account (just no personal info). Be aware that there are different types of credit scores, so read about the different scoring models for credit. Most of all though, you must be financially responsible, cut out unnecessary spending and save as much as you can, always try to find some extra work if you have the time.