Question

evealv

What do I ask for when paying off collections
I plan on paying off some accounts that are in collections. What do I ask from the collector to make sure that I'm not being scammed and to make sure it appears on my report as paid off?

If these collection accounts you are asking about have shown up on your account  here, the first thing to do is make sure they ARE your accounts.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get copies of all three credit reports.  Look them over very carefully and file disputes on all WRONG information (not my account, never lived there, wrong phone number, etc) with the credit bureau reporting it. They have to investigate and either verify or delete the disputed item.  Make it a habit to do this credit check once a year to make sure only your information is on your account.  Errors are common on credit reports.

If these are accounts you have been receiving collection notices on, you'll want to make sure they are still collectible before beginning payments.  Do an online search for Statute of Limitations on collections and find out what the statute is in your state.  If the bills are close to reaching  that expiration date, you can try negotiating a lower payoff.  Do this by letter and keep a copy for your records as well as a copy of their reply. NEVER try negotiating over the phone.

Utilize the Financial Tool on this site to help make smart decisions.  These tools are really good.