Question

Buma

What debt to pay down?
I'm going to be getting a large cash gift from my mom (tax free). Would it be better to pay off my personal loan or pay down credit card debt?

The personal loan is 13.74% with a monthly payment of $386.30. My credit cards are mostly 0% offers with the remaining balance on a 1.9% offer.

I know paying down the credit cards will improve my utilization, and therefore my credit score. And it will reduce my monthly expenses on the payments, but not as much as paying off the loan.

My feeling is that paying off the loan, with the high interest and larger monthly payment, is the way to go. But how does paying off the loan early affect my credit score?

I would recommend paying off any credit cards that after the 0% interest promotion is higher than the personal loan.  Direct any remaining money at the personal loan, but then take the money you have been paying on the credit cards and apply that money to the personal loan each month.

You will also need to check to make sure that there is no penalty for early repayment on the personal loan, as some loans do have early payoff penalties.  If the loan does have a payoff penalty, then direct funds at credit card debt and then put the rest into an emergency fund.