Question

JCorey88

What can I do to improve my credit with my car loan? Pay it off now? or keep making payments?
I have never been late on my car payment.

Paying off and closing the loan will most likely result in a score decrease, so that is something you probably don't want to do if you are concerned about your credit scores. The best action you could take to increase your scores would be to pay the loan down, but not off.

I just bought a car and will soon be getting an additional pension pay-out so my goal is to pay the car off in two years instead of 6.  Sure, I could put the extra money in savings but savings accounts don't pay interest that is more than the loan interest.  So, by paying the car off sooner, I don't pay that interest and save even more in the long run.  If that makes my score drop a bit, so what? That will be temporary.  I won't be buying anything substantial soon, so it won't make a big difference to me.