Question

joeroth

went in to collections by mistake score droped 50 points what can i do
Recently I had a bill for $41.00 which I had paid months prior, but it had mistakenly gone into collections. My score had dropped 50 points while I was in the middle of trying to get a mortgage. It is straightened out now , but I was wondering if there was anything that can be done to the company that put it into collections? Any help would be appreciated, Thank You.

Most Helpful Response

You can always dispute an item that is incorrectly reported. For your case, I would start with the company that you used to owe $41.00. It was not an accident that you got a collection. Call the company, I'm sure they will explain why they initiated the collection. If you can prove yourself paying the bill before the due date, they normally have to remove the collection out of your credit report. I don't think talking to the collector (if you happen to know who they are) is worth trying. If you are not successful with the bill owner, and you're really sure that the collection was a mistake, dispute that with the credit bureau. Make sure every time you call, ask for the representative's name, ID and position for your record so that you may reuse those info in writing later on. Good luck.