Question

Returningsoldier2014

Was away when collections tried to contact me.
I recently returned from Afghanistan. I had no cell phone or access to mail. The day after I had my cell turned backed on and was still not back home to receive mail I got an alert that a change had occurred in my credit report. I looked at my report called the water company and it turned out I did owe the money from 2011 for a previous address I was at. They said call the collections company. I called them and said I would pay no problem, but they would not remove from credit report. I asked when they got account from water company they said dec 2013 and had been calling my cell (turned off) till January 23, 2014. I was not back in the country until February 23rd. Is there anything I can do being I was out of the country?

Thanks for your service!

Isn't a pain that you have to return to problems like these? 

Generally I'd say not to call them but in this case it might be your best bet.  Hopefully you'll reach a sympathetic ear and you can wortk out payment,   When you do talk to them, ask them if you can get this removed from your CR given the situation.  This is called "pay to delete", Where they will delete the negitive comments from your CR when you have paid them the balance.  GET them to send you the agreement in writing before you send money.  They can promise anything on the phone, but if you want a paper trail.  If the first person you reach won't work with you wait a day and try again.  Sooner or later you will reach a nice little old lady that will work with you.  If you don't have success after a couple of tries, put it all in wirtting and send copies of paperwork showing you were out of country in the service. Its a shame you should even have to deal with this.