Question

kmj88

Upgrading Capital One Platinum to Quicksilver
I found out today that you can request an upgrade. I requested one and it was granted. Here is my question for those who have done this... Did you still get the credit line increase after 5 on time payments? I know you can get the increase if you apply for the card and make the payments but I did not know if that goes the same for upgrades. I did however request an increase after doing this when I found out it would not hurt my credit, but was only given a $100 increase in addition to the current $750 limit. (I have been stuck here for a long time!) Thanks for any info, I am a few years outside of bankruptcy and am happy to have been given this upgrade along with the Barclaycard that I was approved for last week.

Most Helpful Response

correction

Capital one is conservative when it comes to limit increases. I found out the best way to get larger limits with Capital One is to use the card a lot, make multiple on time payments each month, and do not carry a balance. I did that for about 6 months, called the credit card department and my limit went from $500 to $2,000 and six months after that it went to $4,000. That was years ago but when I want a higher limit I use the same method with all my credit cards. I hope this helps!

ddawn98

Enter Your ReplyIt worked for me. Used the card alot, made mutiple payments / on time payments, did not carry a balance from month to month. At a 580 TU Score I was approved for a $200 secured C1 Platinum Card. I heard that after three months on on-time payments that you could get $100 CLI. Asked after four months and was denied. The reason given was that CLI weren't given on secured accounts. I was a little dissappointed. I continued to use the card, make payments as specified above and six months to the day I received a +1500 CLI - go figure!  

The key is to spend responsibly. If you can't pay it off within a month, don't charge it. I still have not paid any finance charges to this day! 

C1 PLATINUM CL is 1700. TU 725, EQ 719,  EX 698

Good Question

Capital one is conservative when it comes to limit increases. I found out the best way to get larger limits with Capital One is to use the card a lot, make on multiple on time payments each month, and don't carry a balance. I did that for about 6 months, called the credit card department and my limit went from $500 to $2,000 and six months after that it went to $4,000. That was years ago but when I want a higher limit I use the same method with all my credit cards. I hope this helps!

it will not effect your initial 5 month increase. if you have not reached it yet.  when they "upgrade" you they are basically just adding the cash back program to your account.  all the rest of the terms stay the same.  you will prob find they gave you a "quicksilver one" when you get your card.  I think platinum to quicksilver requires the EO office as they are removing an annual fee.  your account number and everything will be the same as well.

quicksilver one

Hey kmj88- I signed up for the secured card in Dec 2015 then subsequently applied for the quicksilver one due to my CK rating of "good". I was approved and had a $200 secured card and got the $1000 Cap one  "quicksilver one" card to go along with it. I just got an email a month afterwards stating my credit line increase is on its way. I think by doing what BrandJJ70 suggested would be fine. 1) Keep your balances low 2) Make multiple on time payments eg...use the card.. and call them to inquire after several months. These are the first cards I've had in 3 years and so far I like Cap One and the site features... good luck! BEWARE of the $39 fee which is charged immediately to the account. The secret reason I got the card was for the 1.5% cash back. With my spending, I will cover that, but FYI if you dont spend alot it may not be the best option and the 0% APR I received expires after just 9 months..