Question

19Cobra93

Trying to build credit while in middle of chapter 13, have secure cc. Credit not going up. Why?
I've had a secure credit card for a year now, and pay off the amount owed before the due date every month. Sometimes it's 10% of limit, other times it's 80%. either way i pay it off well before the due date. I've been strict with checking my credit to have it go up, but it hasn't. Why isn't it going up? What am I doing wrong?

First thing is that any bankruptcy is a negative on your credit and a Chapter 13 will show as a derogatory remark for 7 years from the date it is filed.  That is just a fact of life.  Second is the utilization of the credit card.  Any time you utilize 80%, that is going to reduce your credit score. The importance of low utilization is covered in the articles presented on this site, as is when to pay bills.  You don't want to pay them before the closing date, and that is explained in the articles.  I found them to be quite helpful.

.  .  .