Question

NyKhan

To dispute or not to dispute? Bank said it purged the records of my credit line.
Paid off older BOFA line of credit. They listed several late pays on my account between 12/09 through 3/10. I recall one late pay. I called them and their customer rep said they purged their system and no longer had records indicating I ever had the account. I asked for a goodwill removal, but I had no leverage since the account has already been closed. One of their reps said I should dispute the account and they may have to remove the entire thing since they have no records of my account and past payments. What should I do?

Most Helpful Response

It's your credit history.

You cannot dispute something on your credit report that is one of your accounts.  Disputes are for erroneous (not negative) entries.  That you had a late payment on the line of credit is a fact of history that will fall off in 7 years as required under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.  Nothing can be done about it before then.

Thanks for responding jwsister. I do acknowledge at least one of those late pays. But I think the two successive late pays thereafter are erroneous. While I don't have evidence to dispute them, the bank says they don't have evidence to verify that I was ever late or even a customer. I tried asking that they remove the other late pays as a goodwill gesture, and their customer rep said even if he wanted to remove them he could not because he has no way of identifying me as a BofA customer to the CBs. 

I should have paid attention to my credit report sooner and I could have disputed the other two late pays on time. I am trying to get pre-approved for a FHA mortgage and my FIFO middle # was 627. My wife's middle # was 590. The loan officer suggested we get rid of as many late pays as possible and remove a bogus $25 collections account from my wife's account. 

So far I got AU accounts removed from my report and sent a validation letter to the collections agency that reported on my wife's account.