Question

tcaowner

There is one bad thing on my credit - a delinquent account that I have already paid
4 years ago I changed electricity providers and there was a cancellation fee that I did not know about and the only request for payment I received was from their collection agency. I immediately paid the bill (only $124) but it is still hurting my credit. How do I get this taken off of my credit? This is the only really negative item on my credit.

Most Helpful Response

It would have been smart to negotiate a "pay for delete" agreement before paying the bill.  As it is,   this negative should disappear from your report in 3 years if you did pay it four years ago.

In the meantime, you might mention this negative ahead of time when applying for credit and tell them what you told us here.  That pro-active approach plus a current history of on-time payments shoul take the sting out of that negative remark.