Question

Nickollette

Student Loans Dropping Off
I was looking at my annual free credit report and checking on things. I have 3 student loan accounts that claim the DoE as the account holder, however the actual accounts are now being handled through its 4th collection agency. Notes for the loans say that they are scheduled to drop off 10/2016. So, my question is will they actually drop off and go away, or drop off and start a new tineline?

They will not go away.

Student loans are collectable until paid off or dismissed through one of the scarce programs that may be available, such as total disability. Otherwise, they will be transferred from one collection area to another.

Nickollette

Right. I understand that and they have been transferred to different collections. This is the first time I've ever seen a drop off date for them though. Just curious if it actually means anything.