Question

lovemytinyfamily

Someone has used my SSN but a different name for a student loan. How can I fix this issue
Trying to buy a house. But it came up from my bank that someone has a student loan with my SSN but a different name. He advised me to call a number he had already spoken to gave me a case # and a different number but when I call they want my social up front how do I know it's legit ? Not a scam I don't feel comfortable just handing my personal info out.. how did the other person even get away with this??? It's aggravating..

Can you access your credit reports with your social security number? Have you tried annualcreditreport or here on Credit Karma or directly from Transunion, Equifax or Experian to look at your credit reports? If you can access your credit reports, see if this account that you do not know about is showing. If it is showing, dispute it with the credit bureaus. What company did the banker tell you to call? Was it a credit bureau? Ask your banker what company the phone number is for or "google" the phone number to see what comes up. If it is a credit bureau asking for your social, that is not a problem, Transunion, Equifax and Experian are legitimate companies. If the number is not for a credit bureau, continue with caution and research and questioning.