Question

TheTwilightZone

Shouldn't a Hospital have to get a judgement or a lien to make a claim with the credit bureuae?
I was in an automobile accident and taken against my 5 verbal objections to a hospital under a fireman's orders with CHP officers on the scene. I was strapped to a gurney and put into an AMR ambulance. I refused the IV at the scene and also at the hospital. I refused all needles at the hospital and all tests. The Hospital staff ignored my wishes and after two hours they released me with a $45,000 bill. There was no injury but these were tests mostly 4 CT scans at $6000 each. I was not offered nor did I sign any agreement to be treated or pay for it. I was not offered an option for "refusal of treatment." I had mandatory PIP coverage from Oregon and Progressive paid $15,000 to the claims of the ambulance company and the rest to the doctors and hospital against my wishes. The hospital claims I owe them $13,000. Can they make the claim to the credit bureaus with no agreement or judgement? Are there no rules anymore and these hospitals can do whatever they want?

Hey, you had best get real!!  At the accident scene, the medical personnel and CHP officers made a judgement call based on training and experience, and observing the scene.  I have worked accident scenes and know how shock can make a person think they are fine, only to later find them in lousy shape, possibly dead.  The hospital has way too much experience in this scenario to be complacent about running tests and making sure accident victims are actually okay, and not just saying so.  And, since they rendered service that was ordered by law enforcement, they have the right to report it to the credit bureaus.  Get a copy of the accident report, see if you can work out payment arrangements with the hospital, Since you are yelling so loud about it, I suspect you were at fault because it was your insurance paying. Just pay the bill and learn how to be a safe driver.