Question

kyrie103

Should loans in collections be paid first or loans in forbearance?
I have 2 types of student loans: federal and private loans and 3 private loans are in collections. Which should I begin to pay on, the federal although I have arranged for a pay as you earn arrangement or those in collections, because I have read that its better to wait 7 years without paying, rather than paying them since it made other people's credit worse?

Most Helpful Response

Oh, to add.... yes, if you pay off a loan after 6 years, your credit rating will be much, much lower for year 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.  

It may be slightly higher (or it could just be the same) for the first year, before it was due to fall off.

*Any* payment you make to a collection agency extends the date on that debt.

state of limitations

Found a good website that has those listed by state:

http://www.bills.com/statute-of-limitations-on-debt/

So they wouldn't even be able to sue me for those debts I have now.  I'd be braindead to pay a collection company anything at all.

You want to pay off the federal loans first.

Depending on what state you live in and your financial condition and how long it has been in collections, you may not want to pay off the private ones at all.  e.g. Texas -- where they can't garnish your wages, take your home, etc.  

Right now, I have about 80k unsecured debt from credit cards.  My last payment on all of them was about 4 1/2 years ago. Essentially the only recourse for these collectors would be to sue me, but since I'm on SSD, that's never going to happen.  Paying those debts would be foolish -- it's far better just to let them fall off.

Federal loans won't fall off... which is why they should always be paid first.

Your private loans are still collectable until paid in full so your best choice would to be paying these off as fast as possible to get rid of the huge interest and late fees that are piling up.  If you can't pay them right now, research all possible alternate repayment arrangements so you can get them paid.  Forebearance just allows the federal loans to go unpaid for a specified period of time, but they, too, will eventually have to be repaid.

Student loans will not drop off your credit report until after they are paid in full and they cannot be discharged in bankruptcy except in conditions of extreme hardship.  Those were the "perks" the student loan industry (and it is an industry) got when bankruptcy laws were changed in the 1990s.