Question

honduca

Should I wait til after a year after our shortsale to apply to transfer balance of credit card?
We were 60 days late on a mortgage payment last June due to the short sale process. My AMEX minimum payment is $900 & I'm having to dip into my Roth IRA to make that payment. I wanted to transfer the balance to a new card. But should I wait til June so that the 60 days delinquency is past a year & go ahead and use my Roth IRA $? Capital One has a good option, but it doesn't seem I'll qualify if it's under a year since that 60 day delinquency. We will be renting soon & will have a more affordable monthly housing cost.

If I were you, I'd do the transfer.  Your score may drop a bit at first, but after a few months of ontime payments it will increase.  Try not to use your IRA to pay your bills, that's not a good option.  Late payments stop affecting your credit score after 24 months, so waiting doesn't matter. To learn more about paying debts, visit www.credit.about.com.   Hope this helps!