Question

Katius17

Should I settle my credit card debt for less, or pay it off slowly and diligently?
I have a credit card debt that's in collection and I'm currently paying $200 every month, which I don't mind. But if I'm offered a settlement for a lower percentage and I take it, will that hurt my credit score more than it already is? Is paying it off monthly helping my credit score at all?

Most Helpful Response

It probably won't hurt it any more than it already has (really hard to say without studying your full credit report) but if you do pay a reduced amount it will show as "paid for less than full amount" on your credit report for 7 & 1/2 years from the date it is paid off, but it will be a closed collection account, which is slightly better than an open collection account.  Try to negotiate with the creditors to pay off the accounts, but only if they agree IN WRITING to remove the accounts from your credit report once they are paid.  If you continue to pay monthly and pay the full amount, the accounts will still be on your credit report for 7 & 1/2 years from date paid, but it will show as paid in full, which is slightly better.  Sorry there is no easy answer.  To better understand how your credit score is calculated, I suggest you visit www.myfico.com.   Best of luck!