Question

kaitjahr

Should I "reopen" an account that was closed due to inactivity?
I recently had a CC account close due to inactivity (side note: not super please with how I was made aware). This was one of my oldest accounts, as I am quite young, it has now impacted my credit "age" as well as my Debt to Credit ratio. I have the option to "reopen" the account, but the service admin was unable to tell me if it would show the original account open date (5 years ago) OR if it would show a new account opening date (next month). HELP! Has anyone else experienced this and lend some advice?

Strange things have happened before in the world of credit, so what you thinking maybe entirely possible, but I personally highly doubt it will be back to the original opened date, it will be a new account number and new opening date. Once it's closed it's closed, there is no "reopen" the closed credit card and assumes/continues on with its past history, Credit report don't work or see it that way that way. 

-

However the effects on your credit scores might not be as bad as you and many others here thinks from closing credit card(s), in FICO score models they uses both your open and closed account into their age/average age of credit, your age won't be affected for next 10 years, because closed account can remain on your report for 10 years, so in 10 years when this particular account rolls off your report, it would then reduce you age, from 15 years to however old your next oldest account is. Unless of course you only care about VantageScore3 here from CK...Paying down/off your credit card balance, that would negates the impact of debt to credit ratio (utilizations), if you can't bring it down right away or in reasonable amount of time? Then it's different discussion than credit/credit scores.