Question

cdag216

should i dispute collections or should i pay it
I have 4 different accounts in collections they are at least 3 years old, and total $2.325. Should I start disputing or should I just pay them off? I want my credit score to go up and I have been doing a really good job at it the last 6 months.

If they are YOUR debts that have been sent to collections, then you need to make payment arrangements because you can only dispute WRONG information.  You also need to read the articles here to understand how credit works and some possible options you may be able to take.

First, DO NOT attempt to make payment arrangements as advised in the other post. That is very poor advice. Ignore it.

You can try disputing them and if you are lucky they won't have all the paperwork and info needed. BUT, even if you get them removed this way, they can very well return with corrected info or the proper information.

The best way to handle it would be "pay for delete agreements" so do some thorough reading on them.

Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) see if any of the debt collectors are violating it in any way, if so, that may be your ticket. You would have to contact a FDCPA law firm.

I do not advise making payment arrangements with debt collectors, as you may be putting yourself legally back on the hook as this can restart the "statute of limitations" to be sued for the debt in your state. Look up the "sol" for your state and see where you stand. NOTE: The "statute of limitations" and credit reporting time period of 7 years are two DIFFERENT things. The reporting time period CANNOT be reset by anything.