Question

jgroshart

Should I dispute a Home Mortgage that still shows on credit report but was discharged in bankruptcy
I had a joint 2nd Mortgage loan in a previous marriage. I filled bankruptcy which discharged me from the debt, but my ex-wife is still paying the account. The account is current, but it is a $41k debt on my report.

I may qualify for a new mortgage this summer if I can get the credit rating up a few more points, but I can't afford a drop in the rating. Do I dispute this item on my report?

Thanks.

you don't mention when

It's called "Credit history"  even mortgages that have been discharged will show up on your report for 10 years. You can try and contact the lender and see if they will remove you from reporting since you are no longer responsible. It's their call.  

If the lender won't remove you can try filing a dispute but it probably won't help.  As long as the account stays current it may even benifit you for it to show up on your report.  It's hard to say exactly with out actually seeing your report.

Good Luck

jgroshart

Right, I get that it is history.  I'm not expecting it to be removed, but rather that it would show a note like < INCLUDED IN BANKRUPTCY > with a closed date.  It still looking open or active is going to affect my credit differently than something that is closed, right?

And the real question is whether that would affect it up or down?

The Bankruptcy was 2 years ago.