Question

MKC0817

Should I be removed as an authorized user?
I'm just starting to rebuild my credit after bankruptcy (discharged 10/13). I have credit scores varying from 605 to 637. After recently pulling my credit, I realized that I'm still showing up as an authorized user on my ex husbands credit card. At first I thought I better get that removed as his balance is high (6600 with a limit of 7400). However, I'm hesitating as the account history is fairly lengthy, it goes back to 2007 and there isn't any late payments on the account. My other open accounts are all mostly newer, and mainly consists of student loans. Though I do have two of those that date back to about 2007 as well. But my only other credit card is a secured card through capital one that I opened within the last month. My goal is to obtain a credit score of 700 within the next 18 months. What are the thoughts? Is the removal of the balance worth the loss of history?

in my experience you being removed from the account doesnt erase the history. Itll fall off after 10 years but will be reported as an inactive account. so the balance won't show anymore. 

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/jeremy-simon-bank-america-equifax-remove-authorized-user-1508.php