Question

Posted in Banking

Footron

Should I avoid joining a credit union if it's not local?
I have terrible credit, and I'm finally beginning to take the steps towards building it back to a decent score. I want to join a credit union because from my research, I've surmised that credit unions are generally a better banking option in most ways that matter. I have also noticed that a lot of them offer free credit counseling, credit builder loans, secured credit cards, and other things of that nature.

After doing some research, I've found a few really interesting credit unions I would not hesitate to join, except..they are not local whatsoever. I'm a bit wary of joining one that has no local branches which would force me to everything via phone, email, etc. I'm wondering if that would degrade my credit union experience and possible work against me in trying to build my credit.

Your choice.  Mine is headquartered on the East Coast and I live on the West Coast, and I haven't had any problems in the pastten years.  If it is a large credit union (mine is) you shouldn't have any problems.

Footron

Thanks for the reply! I'll take that into consideration.