Question

poomerhaner

Should I apply for a secure credit card now, or later?
I have 8 accounts that have been delinquent on payments and 4 open accounts in collections, with a credit score of 499. I don't have any credit cards, and I am one small payment away from paying off my Capital One card that went to a local collection agency. I have a couple of small debts (Nordstrom: $244, and Macy's: $366). Should I pay off the accounts in collection first, or should I apply for the secured credit card to kick start my credit revival? I'm so confused. Please help!

Ouch.....

How long since your last date of deliquency on the accounts? THAT is your main factor in how long it is going to take to repair your credit. Sounds kind of messed up, but the negative impact will stay on your report until 7 years after the last payment is made. My husbands credit was like that when we first got together. We didn't know what we were doing and started making payments to get it all taken care of, long story short, since the accounts were deliquent for a longer period of time they stayed on his report for a longer period. His account was deliquent for 5 years, made one payment on it and it refreshed the 7 year cycle.... turned 2 more years of bad credit into 7 more. OOPS. 

With 4 accounts in collections, it does look good to lenders to have the accounts paid off, BUT, if you stopped paying your bill 5-6 years ago and it will be falling off your report soon I would take the money and start rebuilding your credit with a secured card (or if you have a family member with good credit have them add you on as an authorized user to one of their accounts that has a higher credit limit and no or a low balance). 

Hope it helps. 

Tough Call

I would work on paying off all my debts first. Although it's great you want to start repairing your credit, it's best to give back what you owe first. Show that you are responsible by paying everything back, then get a secured card and start proving you can CONTINUE to be responsible with new credit.