Question

dansonfamily08

Shopping card trick advice...
Hey guys! I was just seeking advice. I do not owe on anything but my credit score sucks (612) we had a lot of charged off accounts back in 2010 when our 3 month old passed. Anyhow I have tried building my credit and would ALWAYS get denied for everything I tried for. However, I got a fingerhut fresh start account a couple years ago and it did shoot my score up by like 50 points (once I got the unsecured account and my limit is now $750.00). I was approved a month ago for a Care credit ($800 limit). I was approved for a VS (using the shopping cart trick for I think $500.00), and was approved for for Simply Be and mansota for $250.00 each (shopping cart trick). The ONLY shopping cart trcisk that I have been able to secure are those who ask on the inital page for the DOB (not sure why), I have applied for sportsman,jcvrew,loft,gamestop,onestopplus,kingsizedirect,hsn,overstock- all to no avail. I am wanting to improve my score by opening these lines and buying something once a month and then paying on (as that is how I have done fingerhut and it has helped a lot). I just do not have my name on our vehicles or the house and want to get my credit "restarted". I know the SP's may make my score go lower but I want to apply for a lot at once for AAOC and that way the accounts can all "age" together. Does anyone have any advice for me? Do you knows know of any that are SP's that ask for DOB on main page that I may have missed? Any advice would be EXCELLENT! Right now I owe $0.00 and total credit of a whopping $2550.00 lol gotta start somewhere though, I assume.

Most Helpful Response

Shopping Cart Trick

I just did a few of these and was approved for 3 new CLs.....Brylane Home Platinum, Jcrew, and Overstock.com. If you follow the shopping cart trick and join their email subscription and their rewards program, then add items to your cart, proceed to the check out, where you will be asked to input your complete mailing address, you will get a pop up stating you were pre-approved. If not, wait a week and try it again, BUT do not apply for the card without getting this pre-approved pop up. Overstock.com is quite generous with their credit extension....1st try and I was approved for $3000.00

TU 694 EQ 652 (Ex wife severley screwed me over...CS was around 380 about 3 years ago) I hope this helps. I have been reaing and studying so much on the subject of credit and have learned so much. Pls let me know if I can assist any more. Best of luck, and stay with it...So very sorry for your loss.

Approved for 3

If the pre approval doesn't populate, try editing your information and changing your phone number to another number that may be listed in your reports. The shopping cart trick has worked with VS, New York & Company and Buckle. Can't seem to get it with overstock.

This was not helpful to me as it was SP's with shopping cart trick NO HP's at all have been done for 2 years now.

Mabs4

You should join the community on myfico. There are plenty of posts available about this topic. Very helpful.

Good luck!

You need to give yourself time.

If you have been denied for any credit, you should not apply for any new credit for a minimum of 6 months. Denied once and it will almost guarantee that you will be denied until that previous denial ages off your report. Keep applying and they will keep denying you only hurting your score more. Rule of thumb: Never apply for new credit more than 3 times in any 12 month period.  More than that and algorithms see you as desperate for credit and tells them that you aren't managing your credit well.  Plus the excess "hard inquiries" can pull down your score even more.
Now that you have the cards you do, You need to show that you know how to manage them. Never charge more than you can pay off each month to any  card. Pay your bill on time and give them time to report and build you history. Carry balances on no more that 1/2 of your cards at any time. Let them report a zero balance at least 3 or 4 times a year. These actions sill have the most effect on building your score.

The idea of opening "a lot of new accounts at once so they can age together" Won't work until your score is high enough to almost "guarantee" approval.  That would be close to 750 on average for an extended period of time.  Before that, Your score will drop anytime you apply and get new credit, Make payments on time and show usage on your cards, until you show enough payments to bring it back up. When rebuilding your credit this all has a more significant effect because your history is short.  As your credit file ages, then the averages get long so that each action has less effect on the overall average of your report.

Do not apply for new credit if your score is below 695,  That seems to be the cut off.  ALWAYS know your score before you apply for credit. The Better Your score the better your chances for approval and the better rates and perks you will get.  

Goober1115

This information is wrong and will be discouraging to those rebuilding their credit. Plus, it is off topic as it does not address the shopping card trick - which was the main subject in this thread.

I am rebuilding my credit and have TU and EQ scores both below 600. The shopping cart trick worked for me with Victoria's Secret and Buckle so far. ($500 and $250 respectively). They also did not show up as hard inquiries. The key is to follow the advice that you must receive a pop-up saying "You've been pre-approved". Secondly, when getting the card through this trick you will NOT need to put in your whole social security number - just the last four digits! If you have to put in your full SSN, it's probably a hard inquiry.