Question

samisaurusrex

Several $50 unpaid bills sent to collection agencies from emergency room visits! Can i do anything??
I was pretty ignorant at how all of this works, or I wouldn't have let it get to this point but now I'm not sure what to do. I didn't know medical bills contributed to these things, (seems kind of cruel) and I've always paid off loans and cc's. But now I have 6 delinquent accounts, most for only $50 each (the co-pay I owe thru my insurance when I visit the emergency room). They are a little over a year old right now, and I understand that if I pay them, it only restarts the clock back to 7 years before they can be removed versus if i don't pay at all. So I have a couple questions:

1. I have heard of people disputing things like this online through transunion or using other dispute forms and getting claims removed. Is this worth doing, and if I do start a dispute is it considered "acknowledging the debt" restarting the seven years?

2. Do I have any shot of removing this at all with letters? It really sucks that these were due to medical emergencies in a time where I was really stretched for money.

Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

No disputing these.

You said these are your co-pays, so you need to pay them.  They are only a year old, fees and interest may start being added in and these can be collected on for at least the next 3 or more years (depending on where you live).  So, be an adult and pay them. If you don't, you may nend up getting denied medical treatment because you are not fulfillinig your part of mthe bargain, which is paying your required portion.