Question

ana555

Settling a Discover judgement directly with their lawyers?
Went through a divorce, stopped making payments on Discover card a few years back. It was until I saw on my credit report that there was a judgment on me. I found the case and they had my old addresses so I never received any notice. Judgment was signed and closed and I owe them 15,000 plus. I would like to have a settlement. I consulted a lawyer and they will charge 2000 to settle my case to about 50%. Can I just call the law firm myself and ask for a settlement and save me 2,000? Can I ask them to remove from credit report? Thank you

No Phone Calls!!

Any time you have to negotiate anything (negotiation is a give and take arrangement until an agreement is met) do it in writing and keep copies of all letters, etc from both you and Discover.  Look in the articles here about negotiating a "pay for delete" arrangement. It is going to take a bit of time and effort on your part or, you can pay the attorney.  Your decision. 

I really do not see any reason that you should pay an attorney two grand to negotiate for you, that is something that you can do yourself if they are willing to negotiate, if they are not willing to negotiate, then they would not negotiate with your attorney either.