Question

JAstor

Scores Went Up For No Reason
I check Credit Karma each week when it updates. Both scores went up -- one by 23 and one by 24 points. However, I've combed through my reports and nothing significant has changed (one credit card balance went down by 40 bucks, the other went up by 62 bucks). The only time I've seen a bump that large is when derogatory credit was removed, but that has not happened here. So, I'm wondering if it could be a Credit Karma glitch and the scores will return to "normal" next week? Any help is much appreciated!

Your score is always going up when you pay your bills on time and you don't have any derogatory issues dragging you down. My score had not gone up that quickly but mine does indeed go up as long as I'm not getting any inquiries.

JAstor

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Teavey.  I understand that my scores will rise with on time payments.  But a 24 point jump from one week to the next?  I do have 1 derogatory item left on my credit but it's not due to go away for another 7 months.  So, obviously it's not that.  And as I said above, I've been checking my credit each week and if the score does go up, it's minimal -- just a point or two.  

Anyway, that's why I asked about a possible glitch in the system.  If perhaps others have seen scores go up crazily and then go right back down to where they were.

It could do with hard inquiries.  Even when they are still on your report, the effect on your score drops even a few months after.  So if you have a couple of hard inquires that went past lets say for example the 6 month mark, then you would see an increase.  

Since I can not see your whole Credit, and do not know the specfic dates of decrease of effect for the HI, I can only say this might be the cause.