Question

kylescreditkarma

Score dropped 50 points after using card and making payment
I recently moved cross country, so I had to start with a new bank, new cards etc. I was waiting for my debit card to arrive and it hadn't arrived yet and so I had to use my credit card to pay some bills and get some things I needed for my apartment. My credit utilization went up to about 50% but then I paid it off three days later, when I received my debit card. Is there anyway to get my score back to where it was since I paid everything off?

Most Helpful Response

@jwsister, I actually waited for my statement to arrive (Which arrived three days later) I then paid it in full, as I always do.

Yes. Don't pay so fast!!

Using your credit card to meet expenses while waiting for debit card is okay.  Even hitting 50% utilization at that time is okay for that short period.  What bit you was paying the total three days later instead of waiting patiently for the bill to come in and paying it off then. By paying before the bill comes in, you end up showing a zero utilization rate.

Please look under Articles on the left side of this page and find out about utilization. Credit Karma was set up as an educational tool to help people learn how to build and maintain good credit. You'll find the information and tools very helpful.