Question

Fishbait54

SallieMae problems
how do I get Sallie Mae to process an application for discharge for my wife being disabled? We have been going back and forth for over a year. They keep sending the application back wanting more information. They have already received three doctors signatures that state she is disabled, but they still want us to start over again.

Most Helpful Response

Do the Dr. enter info?

I had to go through that paper work myself and one of my Drs was willing to enter the information needed to prove that the disability was permanent and I am unable to work to repay the loans.

That is one of the key issues.  A Dr signature is not enough.  There is a space on the form to enter specific information about the disability.  Apparently your Dr. is not entering the required information.  You may have to ask him/her to return the form to you after the information is entered so you can see if they did it, then send it on.

Hang in and be persistent.  It will pay off.

FYI- Once approved, Sallie Mae/Dept of Education will require a 3 year waiting period to make sure your wife isn't working before the loans are dropped.  So, patience helps, too.