Question

alexfl73

Removing Collection Account
What is the best way to remove a duplicate collection. My original creditor is a negative entry on all 3 reports. In addition I have a 2nd negative entry for the same account under the collection agency. Isnt this in theory the same account? Not sure how to proceed. I have worked hard to clean my credit and this is the only thing I have lingering.

Most Helpful Response

If the original creditor sold the account to the 2nd person, they both have the right to report the account for 7 & 1/2 years from the date of delinquency.  However, the original creditor should show it as a closed account, and it should have statement that it was sold or transferred to another lender.  If that is not the case, write to the bureaus and ask them to validate both accounts.  It takes them about 30 days to do so, they should write back to you with their results.  Glad to hear you're on your way to clean credit, nice work!