Removing a medical bill due to incorrect insurance billing in Illinois
Hi. I have one negative mark on my credit report, which is a medical bill from 2013. It was an ambulance company. They were sending the claim to the wrong PO Box of my health insurance. The insurance company will no longer pay the bill because it was more than 2 years ago, even with the 90-day "proof of timely filing" that they received from the ambulance company recently. I am willing to pay the bill only if it will help my credit score- and to my understanding the only way this is possible is if it is removed. I requested the collection agency and the ambulance company remove it if I pay, and they both said it is not legally possible. I believe there must be an exception due to the circumstance which I believe was due to the ambulance companies billing error. So my question is:

1) Should I dispute the collection in the bureaus with the above information without paying the bill? Or should I pay the bill before dispute?
2) If I cannot dispute- is it worth it to pay the bill? I am trying to get preapproved for a mortgage in the next month or so.