Question

teale21

Removed accounti n collections
I had an account in collections for $1,006 from Sprint that I was fighting as it was a fraudulent charge (someone opened an account in my name). All of a sudden, it's no longer on my credit report...how would this happen? I disputed it but don't know if that did anything. Do I have to worry about it?

Most Helpful Response

Removal of Collection Account

I had the same thing happen. Basically what happened is when you called Sprint and let them know that the account wasnt yours they researched it and found that they do not have supporting evidence to prove that it was yours so they just removed it all together. Beware sometimes the creditors and collection agencies are slick. If you file a dispute with the bureaus they have 30 days to repsond. Ok so now in that 30 days they discover that they cannot support the claim so what they will do is remove their account from your report but sell your account to someone new and then your score will then drop again. In order to prove an account is yours they are supposed to have an inked signature and verifiable proof that you are who you are and were the one that opened the account. Sometimes in the midst of accounts moving around paper work gets lost, misfiled, etc. This works in your favor when in dispute. If you know for sure you never signed anything in ink they will have a very hard time proving that the account is yours. Older accounts are harder to trace thus harder to provide proof. 

I hope this helps you!

You will get the results of your dispute. Either it was removed due to a finding in your favor with the dispute or it was sold to another collection agency in which it may pop back up on your reports if that is the case. Get the results of your dispute if it is complete and then you will know more.