Question

OmgNhanci

REBUILDING: Wells Fargo Secured or Capital One Secured?
I am new to CK, and am very grateful for all the knowledge and information it provides.

Anyhow, I applied for Capital One CC but was denied and approved for a secured card instead. I have to put $200 deposit in order to get that line of credit. I currently bank with Wells Fargo and am debating on getting their secured card, I applied and my deposit would be $300.

If you want a higher CL, you can deposit more funds on both cards. My thing is I rather deposit the minimum due, in hopes of getting a CLI, once good standing is established. But do they really do CLI? Is their a chance for an upgrade to unsecured?

My credit score fluctuates between 612 - 620 with the CB's. All my baddies have fallen off except a few hospital bills which are a little under $500.00 total. I currently have two HP on my files. Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Capital one will not give CLI's on a secured creditcard unless you deposit more money to increase your limit.   

Most secured credit cards (99%) can not  be upgraded to unsecured cc.  Sorry

good luck.

Anitap814

That is not necessarily true. I got a secured Capital One CC for $200 (pd $49 app fee/secured deposit) in November 2015 because I am rebuilding and then less than a month later got an unsecured CC from them as well for $500. I made purchases and payments on both, never paid full amount, just min plus a little more. After 5 months of on time payments they increased my secured card to $500. My unsecured one did not increase because I did forget a pymt, but made it the next day. They waived the $25 late fee and said after 5 timely pymts that limit would increase as well. So I did not have to make additional deposits on my secured card for them to increase it, they are doing it every time I have 5 on time payments.ur Reply

CapOne Secured CC is great!!

That is not necessarily true. I got a secured Capital One CC for $200 (pd $49 app fee/secured deposit) in November 2015 because I am rebuilding and then less than a month later got an unsecured CC from them as well for $500. I made purchases and payments on both, never paid full amount, just min plus a little more. After 5 months of on time payments they increased my secured card to $500. My unsecured one did not increase because I did forget a pymt, but made it the next day. They waived the $25 late fee and said after 5 timely pymts that limit would increase as well. So I did not have to make additional deposits on my secured card for them to increase it, they are doing it every time I have 5 on time payments.