Question

epompom

Question Regarding Authorized User and Credit History Length.
I know there are other detailed questions and answers regarding authorized users on CCs, but wasn't able to come up with an exact answer for my question:

When I was born (1990) my mom opened up a credit card in her name and put me as an authorized user (to piggyback) and even used the card when I started college. My assumption is this part helped my credit. However, my mom cancelled the credit card account when I no longer needed it. Did this in turn negatively affect my credit score with the cancellation? I'm currently trying to develop a more appropriate credit score (that's what we all want, right?); My main question then is: if closing the credit card account had a negative impact on my credit score, then would trying to reopen that said account help to increase my score via adding to the average length of my credit history?

p.s. I would no longer be using though card myself, just be authorized to use it, if that at all matters

Thanks in advance

Most Helpful Response

If you can get back on your Mom's acct..

If you can get back on your mother's account as an authorized user (and it is the same account from when you were a child meaning that she never lost the card and needed a replacement, nor the account getting closed and reopened because another company bought the original company out. (e.g. Capitol ONE bought out HSBC and all accounts were closed and issued new accounts which screws up credit age)

Anyway, assuming that is all good and you can get back on, your credit will show the good history again, but it won't necessarily raise your average credit age. You will need credit accounts in your name to get that guarantee. Technically, credit card companies are not obligated to report your credit activity. They actually have to pay the credit agencies to report your good or bad payment history. They lose money from that. So there is really no guarantee that you will even have it reported at all being that it is your mother's account. All that being an Auth. User does is allow the credit company to go after another person for a debt that wasn't repaid.

Summary: the only way to find out is to try to get back on her account. Having your mom take you off her account probably didn't hurt your score too much at all because you probably didnt have a long history in the first place. Your credit history doesn't begin until you are 18 with some sort of debt or credit account. Having you as an autorized user as a teenager or earlier did nothing for your credit report/history at all.

epompom

Thanks a lot scin77. Very helpful information.